The Herengracht is the second of four canals belonging to the canal and is situated between the Singel and the Keizersgracht. In particular, the Golden Bay is known for its large and beautiful canal houses.
Herengracht came from in 1612 at the initiative of Mayor French Hendricksz. Oetgens, town carpenter Hendrick Jacobsz Staets and city surveyor Lucas Jansz Sinck.
Initially it was a (dug in 1585) moat for the professionals and line jobs which were located behind the girth. The canal ran parallel to the canal outside the city walls within the city walls. Therefore, the Herengracht exhibits at the level of the Driekoningenstraat still a kink; the outer moat was at that height placed around a stronghold. From closed to extend the existing canal, the canal in 1612 was named Herengracht, the Gentlemen Rulers of the city of Amsterdam.
The part between Leidsegracht and the Amstel Inside part of the explanation after 1658. This section is the Golden Bend, the most prestigious part of the Herengracht. Here, many houses were inhabited by regents, mayors and merchants, who earned their capital in trade with South America or the Dutch East Indies.
Many buildings were built by the Amsterdam architects Philips Vingboons (1607-1678) and Adriaan Dortsman (1635-1682).
At the last extension, the portion east of the Amstel until applied to the water of the IJ. The final section, located in the then thriving part of the Amsterdam Jewish quarter, was named Nieuwe Herengracht.
Dit werk wordt aangeboden door Michael van der Burg